Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Brentwood, CA

I will start this off by back tracking a bit. Last month I took a trip out to Los Angeles to visit a close friend in Brentwood. As usual in the warm and sunny city of LA, the sun was shining, traffic was bustling, and people were, well interesting. As an individual who once called the city of Los Angeles home, I was pretty familiar with what I would find waiting for me as I exited LAX. So I hopped in my rented Hybrid and headed for Brentwood with the help of Anna via cell phone directions.

The next morning I woke up to the California sun shining in the window of the second floor apartment I was lucky enough to be a house guest in. As my friend and I walked down San Vicente I was immediately reminded of the difference in scenery, food and products available on the West Coast. The streets were lined with people walking, jogging and biking. The restaurants are pro-health and the stores have the latest and most expensive items available to its wealthy residents. After getting a fresh squeezed orange juice from, "Robeks' ", Anna's favorite stop, we quickly continued our walk down to a small salon, where they offer a full manicure and pedicure for only $20.00. I was shocked by the quality of the service at such an amazing price. I believe this is because the service industry has such competition around the area.

From there it was off to El Segundo beach. Now in LA there are many beaches to choose from, but I would highly recommend hitting up this particular quiet "scenic" beach. On most days you will be one of only a few sunbathers. However you will find this is a favorite spot of the local surfers. If you get hungry while your there let me recommend a excellent restaurant in Manhattan Beach beach called "Ebizos Skewer". The Kobe beef Shabu Shabu is a wonderful choice that will not disappoint! Wash it down with an Asahi beer and enjoy!
If you are in the mood for sushi make your way back to Brentwood and stop by " Hara Sushi" on Wilshire. They have a wide selection of delicious sushi to choose from. If you are a Sake drinker like myself grab some of that for your table. Most of the sushi is half priced everyday so you can order away with out running up your bill.






Another beach to stop by if your in the area is Santa Monica Beach. Complete with a pier and shopping center along side of the usual beach amenities. Palm trees and sidewalks full of walkers, joggers, and rollerbladers will fill your view as far as you can see. Santa Monica also has some interesting restaurants, shops and bars to keep you busy all day. A favorite of mine is Monsoon on the corner of Wilshire and 1St.


If you still have some energy after the California sun goes done, there is more then enough nightlife to chose from. In Brentwood, the Cabo Cantina is right around the corner on Whilshire. This is a Mexican themed bar with tropical decor. It is usually busy on any given night and is a great spot to check out. Want to stay near the beach? I would try Niki's in Venice Beach. It's trendy and laid back all wrapped into one.

I would indubitably recommend a visit to Brentwood and its' surrounding areas. It is easy to be fooled into believing it is a warm July summer day rather then a fall day in mid-October when when you are spending time in Los Angeles. LA offers much entertainment and can divert anyone of any age.



































No comments: