Tuesday, August 18, 2009

St Thomas & St. John, U.S.V.I.


St Thomas & St. John, U.S.V.I.



By the time I boarded the plane at 6am in July of 2009, a get way seemed long overdue. It was one of those times in your life where you feel your head spinning and every move you make sinks you deeper into a hole... Anyway, I was lucky enough to be accompanied by my sister, Stephanie, and by the time we made it to our final layover in Puerto Rico, we where both ready for some cocktails and sunshine. As we made our way out the outdoor gate, I practically had to force my sister on the eight seat commuter airplane that was waiting for us. I quickly volunteered my assistance as "Co - pilot", which pretty much consists of riding in the cock-pit and taking a montage of "look at me" photos.


I'm almost certain that my driveway is bigger then the runway for St Thomas' airport. So that proved to be an experience from the front seat indeed. After landing and watching Steffie kiss the ground in thanks for her life, we were quickly jam packed into a van full of strangers for a $35 taxi cab to our hotel. The price of this ride proved not so bad because we quickly found that our native taxi driver was actually more of island tour guide. I think I learned more about St. Thomas on that ride then I ever did in any high school history class, but that could be my downfall.


Point Pleasant resort is located on the cliffs of the island and is, if I may say so, quite a spot. Our room was spacious with window shutter doors opening the bedroom into the living room and a wall of glass sliding doors stretching from one wall to the next. As you slide them open you are led out to a gorgeous balcony with arguably one of the most spectacular ocean views on the island.







After getting settled in, we showered up and we headed out to see what the St. Thomas night had in store for us. If your going to the island, the spot to party at night is "Red Hook". The area has all the beach bars, ethnic restaurants, and over priced shops any thirsty tourist is looking for. My personal favorite " Duffy's Love Shack" was our first stop. First on our path to destruction was a fish bowl. Yeah,... I'd recommend doubling up with a friend on this one and still proceed with caution. It wasn't long before we had been laid by the staff and were conversing with locals and tourists alike. Needless to say that the evening spun out of control at a rapid pace.





The next morning was a little rough around the edges, but after a shower and a few Advil, I quickly pulled it together and we headed to the famous Magen's Bay. " It's on National Geographic top 10 beaches!" boasted Steffie as we arrived and paid our $15 entrance fee. Now maybe it was part the hangover I was nursing or that fact that it was a bit overcast, but I've seen better. Don't get me wrong its a beautiful beach, far better then anything the mainland United States has to offer. Top 10 in the world? I'm not so sure. Guess you will just have to judge this one for yourself.



The following day we head over to Sapphire Beach. By this point I have started to take advantage of the island's policy on open containers. Which is that they are completely fine with them. I enjoy a few coronas on the shore as my sister floats on her rented raft in the Caribbean. It's not long before I am approached by a Jet Ski Rental Agent. He is from Arizona and first tries to sell me a jet ski rental. After realizing I'm not interested he begins to ask personal questions. At first I am understandably weary and unwilling to reveal to much. After a long conversation he departs and heads back up the beach. About 15 minutes later he returns with a unusual, but tempting offer.

It only takes me about 5 minutes to convince Steff to accompany me on my new Jet Ski Friends "Friends" Yacht. He claims to have a charter scheduled for the next day and that he just had the boat fixed and needs to take it for a test spin. He'd rather not go alone. Now usually I would never take rides from from strangers, let alone boat off into the middle of the Caribbean with one. Especially not with my little sister in tow, but what the hell. He seems nice enough and I was pretty sure between the two of us we could have taken him, if need be.



So just like that, there we are, speeding through the Caribbean, weaving in and out of the Virgin Islands. Drinks are flowing, as well as conversation. Our captain, Tim, is from Florida and has moved down to St. Thomas for the same reason most do. Escaping the life of quiet desperation that most either lead or fear leading in the continental United States. He shows us the private beaches of St John. The ones that no guided tour or taxi by road will take you to. You can only get to "Little Cinnamon" by boat. There is no dock, so you must anchor out and swim or snorkel in. This is arguably the most spectacular spot I have ever reached in my short life thus far. It's defiantly worth the swim ;) We spend the rest of the day beach hoping in between the two islands.

On Friday, which also happens to be my birthday and the second to last day of the trip, we depart from our hotel with intent. To Trunk Bay on Saint John we go, the smaller islands principle attraction as far as beaches go. Unfortunately today we won't have our private Yacht to take us where we need to go. We will need to ride the ferry. Which departs from St Thomas on the hour. From there an open air taxi will take you to Trunk Bay. Bring your snorkel here and experience the beaches magnificent under water national park. A giant reef is surrounded by underwater signs with explanations on corral, fish, any other forms of life found around the reef. Before leaving St John, which I must say is my favorite of the Virgin Islands, we made a stop for some much needed food at the famous "Woody's Saloon". Look no further for dollar drinks all through happy hour. This little bar/restaurant is the perfect island atmosphere and should not be missed. The West Indian mussels hit the spot, as well as the Rum and Pineapples that followed.

Later that night after returning to St Thomas via ferry ride, it was off to "XO" for a birthday dinner. The sashimi was fresh and flavorful. The wait staff is also attentive and don't be surprised if you have a visitor or two stop by and sit a your table with you for a while. We ended our night with drinks at "Duffy's Love Shack" before departing back to Point Pleasant for the night.

With an amazing trip behind me as I laid staring straight up at the sky, in the hammock at our hotel on the last day waiting for the shuttle to pick us up and take us to the airport, I reflected on the beaches, the drinks, the food, the island hoping, the people, and all the other experiences the islands had shown me. I wondered on what lay ahead. Could this be the most amazing destination I have visited so far? Possibly. I did know one thing for sure, there was more out there, more to see, more to experience, and with a trip to Europe in the near future I knew there was more in store for me. I walked to Fungi's, the beach burger joint at our hotel just beside the the Caribbean Sea, and sucked down a few pomegranate daiquiris before departing. I loved the Virgin Islands, but as Robert Frost put it so eloquently. "..and miles to go before I sleep".

No comments: